Are you hooked on fast?
- Do you want to slow down, but you cannot? Have you lost control?
- Do you keep adding activities without taking any away?
- Do you work longer and longer hours, but don’t ever finish?
- Do you treat other problems: sleep, anxiety, depression?
- Do you act first and think later?
- Do you check your email and reach for your phone first thing and last?
- Do you feel internal pressure to live fast and act fast, which becomes a craving to “connect” more rapidly?
- Do you feel empty if you are not in constant action?
- Do you feel nervous without your tech gear in hand or pocket?
- Do you feel the beep of your phone as a comfort that gives you a shot of adrenaline?
- Do you feel you belong when you are rushing, stressed, and in action?
- Do you believe you have no limits and you are entitled to live without limits?
- Do you believe you should think, feel, react, and behave instantly?
- Do you believe you will fall behind if you slow down?
- Do you believe success equals fast and faster, and slowing down is failing?
- Do you believe you should only feel good, only feel high; other feelings are a sign of failure?
- Do you believe stress is the price of success and chaos is normal?
- Do you believe that the “new intimacy” is through technology; less time for off-line relationships is the price of success?
- Do you believe instant action is a virtue and you can overcome anything with enough willpower?
- Do you believe all change must be big to count?
Adapted from Speed: Facing Our Addiction to Fast and Faster – And Overcoming Our Fear of Slowing Down, by Stephanie Brown Phd.